￼How Can a Barstow Domestic Violence Defense Attorney Help You?
Domestic violence is, unfortunately, very common. When a person is charged with domestic violence, they may feel overwhelmed and scared. This can be because domestic violence is a very serious charge with serious repercussions. A Barstow domestic violence defense attorney can help alleviate some of this stress by providing guidance and expert legal assistance throughout the legal process.
What You Can Expect in Working with a Barstow Domestic Violence Attorney
A defense attorney will typically meet with you and review the facts of the case. They will then work on an action plan and advise their client on what to expect during court proceedings. Your attorney will also represent you and argue on your behalf at trial if necessary.
How a Barstow Domestic Violence Defense Attorney Can Help
There are several things a knowledgeable defense attorney can do to help someone who has been charged with domestic violence. Some of these include:
- Investigating the Case. A good defense lawyer will carefully review all of the evidence in the case and look for any inconsistencies in the prosecution’s argument. They will also interview witnesses who may provide testimony that can help improve your case.
- Building a Strong Defense. A defense attorney will work tirelessly to create a strong defense for their client. They will argue that the charges are unfounded or that there was serious provocation on behalf of the accuser.
- Negotiating with Prosecutors. A knowledgeable defense attorney can negotiate with prosecutors, often resulting in reduced charges or dropped cases altogether. This can save you from costly fines, jail time, and other penalties associated with domestic violence convictions.
Possible Domestic Violence Defenses
You may feel you have no hope if you have been accused of domestic violence. However, this may not be the case. Domestic violence defenses are specific to each case and can vary depending on the facts involved. Here are some of the common domestic violence defenses an attorney may use:
- Self-Defense. This defense is based on the premise that the defendant was acting in self-defense when they committed the act of domestic violence. To succeed, the defendant must prove that they believed using force was necessary to protect themselves from harm.
- Insanity. This defense is based on the argument that the defendant was not mentally capable of understanding what they were doing during the alleged crime. To succeed, the defendant must undergo a psychiatric evaluation and provide evidence proving their poor mental state at the time.
- False Allegations. Unfortunately, sometimes domestic violence accusations are falsely made by an angry spouse or partner. If your attorney can prove that you were falsely accused, you may be able to avoid conviction entirely.
Barstow Domestic Violence Attorney David Leicht
We serve clients in Barstow, Needles, Mojave, Victorville, Wrightwood, Apple Valley, and San Bernardino.