What are the 4 types of defense attorneys?
If you’re ever unlucky enough to need a defense attorney, you know that picking the right person can be hard. Your brother-in-law recommends one with a good rep in town, but that doesn’t mean they’re the best lawyer to handle your particular case. Knowing how defense attorneys are categorized and what they do is a good start toward selecting the right one to handle your case.
Criminal Defense: What do they do?
- Gather all pertinent details
- Develop a strategy to counter the prosecution
- Suggest the best possible outcome
- Handle assault charges, theft and fraud, white-collar crimes, DUI’s
- Defend people listed in lawsuits
- Lawsuits involve monetary compensation
- Dispute liability claims
- Handles divorce law, personal injury and tort claims
- Work for state and local government agencies
- Cases are appointed
- Clients are those who cannot afford legal counsel but have the right to an adequate defense
Juvenile Defense Lawyers
- Defend clients age 10-17
- Crimes and/or offenses can be petty or criminal
- Focus is on rehabilitative solutions over incarceration
Why a good defense attorney?
Having a lawyer with a good court presence and one who is respected in the particular court is paramount to winning a case. The more the lawyer is respected, the better chance you have of winning critical motions and getting rulings in your favor.
Things to Look For in an Attorney
- How many cases have they won?
- What is their educational background?
- Their legal standing.
- Years of practice as a defense attorney.
- Amount of experience in the area in which you are charged.
- How do you personally relate to the attorney?
A competent attorney can mean the difference between a case won or lost, so don’t be embarrassed about asking for credentials. While your case may not seem important in the general criminal scheme of things, it is important to you in the current litigious environment. A legal strike against your record can impact your future. A “not guilty” decision or one that favors you is a public record available to anyone who wants to see it.
Call Us Now
David Leicht has successfully defended clients from a wide variety of charges. If you live in Barstow, San Bernardino County, or Mojave and need a defense attorney who will fight for you, call us now @ 760-256-3104. We’re here to help.