Is Getting a DUI Attorney in California Worth It?
It’s common for people to wonder if hiring a DUI attorney is worth it. The process can be overwhelming—especially if you’ve never been through it before. But having a seasoned professional on your side is usually a good choice when the stakes so are high. A knowledgeable and experienced California DUI attorney may use one or more strategies to help you avoid conviction and minimize penalties.
A seasoned DUI attorney may work on your behalf in the following ways:
- Arguing that police violated your rights. If the police violated your rights while conducting a search or traffic stop, the evidence they obtained might not be admissible in court. Your DUI attorney may ask the judge to dismiss all charges based on this lack of evidence.
- Challenging police procedures. Likewise, if the police did not follow proper procedures, this could result in the evidence being thrown out of court. This is especially true if you were stopped or arrested without probable cause or if officers failed to read you your Miranda rights.
- Challenging field sobriety tests or breathalyzer results. Field sobriety tests and breathalyzer results are often used as evidence against drivers in DUI cases. However, these tests can be unreliable and may not accurately reflect your actual blood alcohol content. Your DUI attorney may be able to challenge the results of these tests in court and help you avoid a conviction. Blood alcohol levels can be challenged if you were not tested within two hours of driving or if the sample was improperly collected. Additionally, certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, can cause false readings. Challenging these results can help get your charges reduced or dropped altogether.
- Negotiating with prosecutors. A knowledgeable and experienced DUI attorney may be able to work with the prosecutor for a reduction in charges or lesser penalties. For example, if you were arrested on suspicion of DUI, your attorney might be able to get the charge changed to a more minor infraction.
- Appealing convictions. You have the right to appeal your case if you are convicted. An experienced DUI attorney can assist with this process by filing a motion for a new trial or other appropriate motions. This may result in either reducing or dismissing the charges against you.
If you’re facing DUI charges and want to avoid the fines and penalties associated with a conviction, hiring an experienced DUI attorney can help. The Law Office of David Leicht has extensive experience successfully handling DUI cases throughout San Bernardino County.
If you need an experienced DUI attorney, contact the Law Office of David Leicht at (760)-256-3104 or use our online form to set up a free consultation and put the power of an experienced DUI attorney on your side.
Serving Barstow, Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, Adelanto, Baker, Needles, Lucerne Valley, Big Bear, San Bernardino, Mojave, Phelan, Wrightwood, and the surrounding California communities.
534 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA 92311